Monday, February 1, 2010

Brrrr! It's cold outside

    Brrrr! It's been cold here in the south. We aren't used to these cold temps around here.Now, I don't mind the cold as long as I don't have to go anywhere. But, our home seems to be hard to heat I  The biggest problem being is that our basement gets cold at night and since we don't have heat downstairs, it doesn't warm up during the day very much. Our basement is where my sewing room is (really a sewing corner) and the game area for the kids. It's not fancy or anything like that. I have a corner that is mine with my sewing machine set up and a table for cutting. We have a tv for the Wii and our deep freeze. I think we need to buy a space heater to put down there but with the fabric I am always afraid of fires. Maybe we will be able to find a safe one that isn't too expensive.
   Anyway, we recently found out that a dear friend who is expecting, is going to have a little girl. So I am wishing that it would warm up so that I can get started on her quilt. I am so excited for the parents! Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks the weather will warm up enough during the day that I will be able to get downstairs and work. If not, I may just have to brave the chilly temps down in my little sewing room. Maybe if I had one continuous hot flash it wouldn't be so bad! : ) Then the basement would feel quite good.
    In the mean time, I've been busy babysitting, cleaning houses and teaching my girls. Pride and Prejudice is such a wonderful book. It lends itself so well to a unit study. Especially for Bible, Literature and Grammar. Pre-algebra and Geometry are going well, but we struggle with biology. It's a wonderful subject and lots of fun but like most kids, mine like the hands on part the best. I have to admit, that it is my favorite part too. Soon the spring will be here though and we will be able to get back outside. Then we can study the bugs, and plants and other living things. I am also saving the dissecting for the spring so we can do that on the back deck. Preservatives just tend to smell yukky. : (
   When I do get started I will post pictures of the quilt and the biology.
  Blessings to all, S
  

No comments: