Monday, November 2, 2009

Just Old Fashioned

I know there are many quilters out there who will go buy new fabric when they want to make a quilt. I sometimes wish that I had this option. But then again, in the spirit of my Grandmas, I don't think that would be good either. At least not for me. My Grandma, would go to yard sales and spot old blankets that could be cut up or clothes that would make beautiful quilts. She often saved my Dad's and his brothers and sisters clothes to recycle into beautiful quilts. When she went to yard sales she would only take $30 or $35 and never spend over that. Sometimes the old blankets were used for batting. Always thrifty, she would often tell me that beauty doesn't have to cost. I have inherited her love for fabrics. I love to look at fabrics, and touch them, to think about what a piece of fabric will look like cut up into a quilt.  
  I have been given much fabric and sometimes struggle with how to turn them into quilts like my Grandma did. I second guess myself often, thinking that two fabrics might not go together. What came naturally to my Grandma, I have to work at. Sometimes I think that I suffer from information overload. Too much to be seen on the web. Grandma often took her cues from Gods creation on how to put colors together and what pattern to use.  So I've been thinking this weekend as I worked on the baby quilt that I must take many of these fabrics and allow God to show me what to do with them. How to combine them into beautiful masterpieces. He is the ultimate Creator after all. I pray that He will help me turn them in to  many quilts for children and grandchildren. I hope that someday my daughters and future daughter-in-love will want to sit and spend time quilting and sharing and praying together. (no, Tony isn't seeing anyone, but I still pray for the one that God has chosen for him as I do for the girls future husbands, for He knows who they are.)
  Yes, I know these are old fashioned thoughts but, I guess I am just an old fashioned type of girl.
  Blessings, S

No comments: