Monday, October 31, 2011

Charging for Love


We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19


    This week, I was showing someone that I met one of the cocoons that I have been crocheting. She asked if I could make one for her to give to a friend. I said, "yes". She started pricing the yarn and then it dawned on her that this could get expensive. After all yarn costs any where from $2 - $6 a skein, depending on the kind that you buy. Baby yarns and specialty yarns tend to cost a little more than everyday sport yarns.
   Then there is the cost of my time. I tend not to put a high price on my time. But, even if I didn't charge but $4 an hour, some projects tend to take between 15 and 20 hours to make. So at this point it's up to $80 plus the cost of yarn, which was around $25.  Most people don't want to, or can't afford to pay that price for a gift, or even for themselves. I can't say that I blame them. I can't afford to pay high prices for gifts, but I want to give nice things to the people that I love.
     I make things one of three ways. I am moved by the Holy Spirit to make it specifically for someone, or I just want to make it and when I'm done it reminds me of someone or someone will ask me to make something in particular. When I make gifts for people, it's a labor of love. That makes it priceless. Each person that gets a handmade gift from me, has something that has been prayed over with each stitch.
     So how do you put a price on that kind of gift? You don't. You put your heart and prayers into it and hand it over to the new owner. Every person that I've ever made a gift for or that I have personalized a store bought for is someone that I love dearly.
     The most precious things that I've ever been given are the things that people took the time to make for me, because I know that they cared enough to put their thoughts and love into it. Even if it was something that was bought and then personalized in some small way.
    I have a beautiful handkerchief that a friend bought in Australia and had her Mom crochet around. I keep it in a special place and pull it out and pray for that precious family every time I look at it.
    You just can't charge for Love. God has never put a price on love,  but He did put a face on love - Jesus.
 Jesus paid a price for my sin, so that I wouldn't have to. Oh how much LOVE He has for me and for YOU.
 Blessings and Grace to All ~S~

No comments: