Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Hearts

  It's amazing to me how hearts can be so excited, proud, and breaking all at the same time.
  I've tried over the years to raise my children to be young adults that would honor God and bring glory to Him. I have done ok with God's constant help and much prayer. We still can be dysfunctional, but we do Love God and He's still working with us to grow and mature us in many ways.
   This weekend I watched as my  middle daughter, grew closer to her young man and I had to step out to the edge of her life. I really thought that I had prepared myself for this. I knew it would come one day. It is what I have trained them for, to be wives and mothers. Or in my son's case, a husband and father. I thought that I would be able to handle these feelings with grace. I'm afraid that I'm not doing so well at this.
    Don't get me wrong. I love this young man already and see many wonderful character traits in him that I really like. They look so cute together and I love the way that he watches over her and guards/protects her. I love that he is such a Godly young man and is concerned about her character and reputation also. When he left after this weekend visit, I cried for her. It gets harder and harder for her to say bye after each visit. I watch his face, and see in his eyes that it is harder for him too. I watch him as he sees her come into the room. His face lights up and his smile shows me so much. He might be talking to me but I know that it's just respect for me as her Mom at that point. His mind is on talking with her and spending time with her from that moment on. And while I might like the lively conversation, it gets hopeless after awhile.
    I guess that I'm just having a hard time giving up my friend. I spent  years being her Mom and then she finally got old enough that she and I were sharing things and becoming best friends. Now that dynamic is changing. I'll always be her friend, but she is possibly developing a friendship that will last another lifetime. One that Mom will always be on the outside of. I know this because I did the same thing to my Mom. When I started falling in love with my husband, time with Mom just wasn't a priority any more. I still loved her and still do very much. But, next to Jesus, my husband will always be my best friend and confidant. Yes, that's the way it should be, but it still hurts a little. I'm so excited for my girl and there is much joy that God has placed such a sweet and loving young man into her life.
     I'm thankful that He has placed Nick in our lives and turned our world around. Like a snow globe that has been shaken I suspect that it will be awhile before things settle. But, that is good too. I've always asked God to keep our hearts and minds active for Him, that we would have teachable spirits. That we would not become complacent and stop growing for Him. Well, God answers prayers. Sometimes He answers them by putting a Nick into your life. Thank you Lord for all that you do for us. Thank you for the blessing of this young man, who loves you.
    Blessings to all ~S~
My sweet Kelly and Nick

   

No comments: