Monday, April 16, 2012

Rattle, rattle, Shake, shake

   Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.Col. 4:6 


But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 1Peter 3:15-16
 
    There are times when I wish that God would just rewind time and let me have a do over. The last couple of weekends have been that way for me. I've either not been able to get my thoughts organized well enough to express myself coherently, or I've just opened my mouth and let out words that I didn't even know that I was thinking. My brains are just rattling around and shaking in my head.
    The verses above have been going through my mind this morning.
    I've been accused of over analyzing things on more than one occasion and this may be one of those times. But...
    Let me rewind.
    The weekend started off well enough. It actually started on Thursday for me. I cleaned a house, with the help of one daughter. School went well.  Then another treated me to my first ever pedicure and a manicure. Friday was dance for Aimee, and shopping at Hobby Lobby for me. I only bought quilt batting for a project that I'm working on, but I love to shop in that store! On the way home from dance I picked up some begonias to plant in the flower bed, then on home.
     Saturday morning I got things moving in our home, Aimee was cleaning the kitchen, Jessica doing laundry, and I was headed to the door when the door bell rang. Jehovah Witnesses. Most days I take the time to pray when I see them coming to the door. This time I was caught off guard and I let myself get rattled. I gave some fair answers but not ones that I should have given. There was a little girl with them and in my mind I kept thinking that they were so misleading her. I was gentle and loving to them but felt flustered and my mannerisms I'm sure, were less than hospitable. I often ask them if I can pray with them in the name of Jesus, but didn't even think to do this. All I really wanted to do was get in my flower beds, dig in the dirt, plant my flowers, and talk with God. I didn't have time for all these interruptions! Then a phone call came in and after I got off of the phone with this person, I started thinking about the missed opportunities. So many things that were said that I should have been able to refute or confirm with scripture.
     Fast forward to Sunday. In church I shared how they came to the door and I was so not prepared with answers to their comments. After church I felt like I really hadn't expressed my thoughts in a coherent way at all. All I could think was, "What an idiot I sounded like!" Like I was a new baby Christian or something. I know God's word, it is in my heart and in my head. Although I do forget where the verses are at more often than I care to admit. (shame on me) I do know it is in there because I have read it many times over. For all of the reading that I've done, I know that I need to study even more. There is so much more that I need to learn and so much more growing that I need to do.
      So here it is, Monday and we are off to the dentist. Before going out the door this morning, my daughters and  I will pray that God will give us wisdom and that He will put the words in our heart and head that He wants us to say. I will pray for strength and guidance from Him, that His word will be active and we will use it with grace and gentleness. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5 
 I pray that His Holy Spirit will fill us and shine through so that all we do and say will glorify Him.
      I will take this weekend as a reminder that everyday must be hemmed in prayer, so  that it doesn't ravel away.
     Praying that you have a blessed week and that with each day God draws you closer to His heart.
  In His Grace ~ S ~
     

No comments: