Saturday, June 18, 2011

Orange Marmalade

  I was so excited yesterday! That was yesterday.
  Let me explain.
  Yesterday I ran my errands then raced home so that I could make orange marmalade. I'd never made it before and I wanted to make it so that I could have it this winter with scones or biscuits or toast. So I found a recipe and got to work. I peeled oranges and scraped the white stuff out of the peels and sliced them up and put them in the pot and boiled them just like the recipe said. Then I added the oranges, you know all the pulp stuff. Cooked it just like the recipe said. So far so good. I added the sugar, and the pectin just when the recipe said. The kitchen was smelling wonderful at this point. Yum! I filled my hot jars with the steamy hot marmalade and put them in a hot water bath just like the recipe said. Pulled them out and they looked absolutely beautiful!


   Well, that was yesterday. This morning I awoke, and like a child on Christmas morning I raced in the kitchen to see my pretty jars. The jars were the same, and the liquid inside has not jelled. *sigh* . I am hoping that maybe after a day more the liquid will jell. It took a couple of days for the apple jelly to jell after it's hot bath. It will be heart breaking if it doesn't start to jell just a little in the next couple of days. The last of the liquid in the pot tasted so good after I had filled the jars.
   The good news is that I still have more oranges and more pectin. So I can always try again. What new adventure awaits in my kitchen? Monday is another day.
  Blessings and Joy to All ~S~ The Quilted YaYa

No comments: