Saturday, August 10, 2013

Crafters Desires

  I've been thinking about buying a new small rug for my kitchen, just to put in front of my sink. I love the look of the country wool rugs that have a pretty country design on them. I've check them out in stores and on line. The ones that I really like are usually pretty expensive because they are hand made.
   So being someone that really likes crafts, I decided that I'd set about seeing what it would take to make my own. I may end up spending more money to buy the supplies; but right now I haven't ruled that possibility out, yet.
   You Tube is a great site and you can learn a lot from the videos that are there. I found this video on how to hook rugs.
Of course there are many more videos and much more to learn. I love to learn and may end up taking a class on it. If I can find one locally. I think I need to find a job working for a craft place. I just like to try too many things. Even though I will go back to my first craft loves of crocheting, quilting and cross stitch.
 I have to insert a little Rant here. ( I think that I would love to open a craft store, but I'm never sure how that would go. I've seen so many open, and then close just as  quickly because larger stores can sell the same products for so much less. And let's face it, when you are a craft person your funds are usually limited. If I manage to sell anything that I ever make the money goes right back into buying more supplies so that I can feed the monster that is the craft desire. Most of the time I end up making something to give as a gift rather than to sell. 
  There is a lot of time and love put into hand made items and to even get a fraction of what it is worth you would have to mark it up beyond what anyone really can afford. Craft Fairs are great places to go when you are a crafter. And I am guilty of going so that I can get ideas for new things or sometimes just to see whats out there and what sells. As someone who has tried to sell things at craft fairs it's very hurtful for someone to look at something that I've made only to toss it aside and say, "Well, I can make that". My advise is, then go make it. Remember, be kind to other crafters. They took a lot of time away from other things that they could have been doing to make the items and it is a labor of love. They aren't getting paid anywhere near what the item is actually worth.)  Rant over.
  Now back to YouTube. You can find instructions for almost everything on there! Crocheting, Quilting, Zentangle, even Algebra tutoring! So the next time you are interested in learning a new craft, or just something new about the craft that you have already learned, do a search on YouTube and see what you can learn.
  Blessings to All ~S~
   

No comments: