Friday, August 16, 2013

Vexillology

   This morning I read a post from another blog called Common Cents, about an 8th grade test from Kentucky schools in 1912. I realized how much I didn't know, in looking over this test. So I set out to find answers. In the process of finding the answers I ran a bit of a rabbit trail. Home school Moms tend to do this sometimes.
   Any way, I was reading about the Commonwealth States. There are four of them Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Massachusetts. Which led to looking at their flags. Which brings me to the title of this post. Vexillology  -( Vexillology is the "scientific study of the history, symbolism and usage of flags or, by extension, any interest in flags in general" (Smith 31) The word is a synthesis of the Latin word vexillum ("flag") and the Greek suffix -logia ("study"). It is formally defined by the International Federation of Vexillological Associations (known by its French acronym FIAV) constitution as "the creation and development of a body of knowledge about flags of all types, their forms and functions, and of scientific theories and principles based on that knowledge." ) 
  Amazing the things that you find out when you look at a states flag!  Some things I knew from earlier studies of flags and states. Like, each color means something. But then I started digging a little deeper, what did the symbols mean. Why St. Andrews cross on the Alabama flag? Why the motto: Sic semper tyrannis on the flag of Virginia? Fascinating! 
   If you are studying state history or American History this year I encourage you to throw in a little of the study of the flag(s). They really tell a lot about our forefathers and what was going on during the time that each state became a member or was ratified as a state.
   As always have fun teaching and learning with your kids! Enthusiasm is contagious. If you love learning so will your kids. 
  Blessings to All ~S~

No comments: